Kenya’s Smart Driving license is a digital license that comes with a chip containing drivers’ details like years of driving, vehicles are driven, accidents caused, and others. Kenya’s National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA) introduced this to replace the old driving license.
In this article, we will look at a step by step process to apply for your Smart Driving License.
Before you start to apply for the Smart Driving License, make sure you have the following:
- Photocopies of your ID
- Your Phone number
- KRA PIN
- Ksh 3100 in your Mpesa account
Steps to Apply for Kenya’s New Smart Driving License
- Visit https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp to register the NTSA Tims Portal, and you can also sign in if you have already registered.
- If you have successfully created or signed to the TIMS Portal, from the options available, select Driving License.
- You be provided with all the details of your old driving license.
- At the left side of the page, click on the link Apply For Smart DL.
- Verify your details and make sure they are all correct. Then click on Next.
- You will be provided with the payment options. Choose the one you prefer. Mostly Mpesa.
- Confirm your payment.
How to Book an Appointment with NTSA
After making your payment, you will need to book an appointment with the National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA). This will enable them to take your fingerprints, photo and any other requirements.
After successfully completing all the processes above, your Smart Driving License will be ready within 5 weekdays, excluding holidays and weekends.
If you did not get your card within the specified days, you could contact NTSA below.
NTSA Contact Information
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0709 932 300 / 020 6632 300