The Government of Ghana (GoG) has been advised to suspend the reopening of Junior and Senior High Schools on October in the Volta Region amid simultaneous attacks from the Western Togoland secession group.
President Akufo-Addo in one of his televised nation’s address monitored by Georgeweb.org announced schools will resume for second-year students in Junior High School (JHSs) and Senior High Schools (SHSs) on October 5, 2020
This according to His Excellency Akufo-Addo will enable the Form 2 JHS and SHS students complete the 2019/2020 academic year and sit for their end of term examination respectively as they vacate on December 14, 2020.
But, the Executive Director of the African Education Watch, Mr Kofi Asare has advised that reopening of Junior and Senior High Schools in the Volta Region should be delayed amid attacks from the separatists.
The Educationist concerns follow last week Friday disturbances in the Volta Region when the Western Togoland secession group declared themselves as sovereign from the Republic Ghana and blocked some major entry roads.
The separatist also attacked two Police stations, freed inmates and reportedly seized weapons of the various police stations, an act the North Tongu Member of Parliament, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has condemned.
Police and media reports indicate the Western Togoland group today has Tuesday, September 29, 2020, attacked an STC yard in HO and burned down one of their buses leaving several bus drivers injured.
The Executive Director of the Watch on social media has said from the way things are going and the apparent lack of any meaningful security in the North Tongu District, it will not be a step in the right direction for the government to reopen schools for Form two students in the Volta Region.
“Anyways, from the way, things are going, and the apparent lack of any meaningful security, no one should attempt re-opening JHS & SHS in October in that Region….we know how these deadly groups targeted schools in Cameroon, Nigeria etc”, Mr Kofi Asare advised.
Meanwhile, the United States of America (U.S.A) through the U.S Embassy in Ghana has advised its citizens to avoid travel to or through the Volta Region until the situation is restored to normalcy.
The Embassy in a blogpost sighted by Georgeweb.org on its official website said: “please avoid travel to or through Volta until the situation improves”.