The Minister for Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh following calls from various pressure groups, stakeholders, and even the opposition NDC party has said it’s untenable to shutdown reopened schools over the surge in the locally transmitted coronavirus cases in Senior High Schools.
Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh popularly known as NAPO speaking in an interview on Adom TV’s ‘Badwam’ programme on Monday, July 13, 2020, monitored by Georgeweb.org said he strongly disagrees with the shutdown schools calls and dismissed students to go home petitioned by some groups.
“Those of us in leadership must listen to public concerns, and be guided by the evidence in making suggestions to the President”
“Even if my ward were in school currently, I would not with the evidence as it stands, suggest to His Excellency Akufo-Addo to close down schools”, the Education Minister argued as quoted by GhanaWeb.
The Member of Parliament gave an instance that considering there are 721 senior high schools in the country, with a population of about 400,000 and 13 reported COVID-19 cases across 5 schools, the calls for the schools to be shut down were not tenable.
NAPO furthered that there had been no reported cases of the virus in even some communities where some of the Senior High Schools are located.
According to him, there is no way one can call for the closure of schools in the country.
He insisted that whether to close the schools or keep them open, we have to look at community trends as well as risks and rewards involved.
The repeated cases of the novel coronavirus in some Senior High Schools (SHSs) have charged some concern groups to petition the Government of Ghana as a matter of urgency shut down the reopened school for students to return back home.