The West Africa Examinations Council (WAEC) BECE certificates or any other certificate by WAEC are awarded to any candidates who obtain at least a pass in one of the subjects offered in any examination.
According to the Examination Council, certificates are issued to candidates within three months after the release of results.
Procedure to request new BECE certificate
Below are comprehensive procedures for the collection/receipt of new BECE certificate in Ghana.
Basic Education Certificate Examination: The BECE certificates are forwarded to the District Directors of Education for onward dispatched to Schools.
West African Senior School Certificate Examination for School Candidates: The certificates are dispatched to Heads of Schools for collection by their candidates.
West African Senior School Certificate Examination for Private Candidates: Certificates for Private Institutions that are allowed to register candidates are collected from the WAEC Office in the region of the School by School authorities.
All other private candidates are expected to complete an application form for the collection of certificate and submit to the WAEC Office in the region where they wrote the examination. They are to attach a recent passport-size photograph endorsed by a witness in one of the following categories:
• A Senior officer of the security services not below the rank of Major/Superindent or its equivalence .
• A Senior Public Servant ( Principal executive offcer and above).
• A Qualified and Registered Medical Practitioner (herbalists are not accepted)
• A Solicitor or Barrister (Commissioner of oaths not accepted)
• An Assistant Director of a Public Secondary School or Training College.
Procedures for collecting certificates by candidates outside Ghana
Below are comprehensive procedures for the collection/receipt of new BECE certificate outside Ghana.
• The candidate would then fill in the said form.
• The candidate is to attach clear photocopies of the following pages of his/her passport where:
• His/her particulars are stated.
• His/her profession is stated.
• His/her visa for the trip out of Ghana is.
• The signature of the Director of Passport is.
• The bearer’s signature is.
• The candidate must then give an authority note to a responsible person whom he/she has mandated to collect the certificate for and on his/her behalf.
• The person collecting the certificate on behalf of the owner must provide a valid identification.
• The person collecting the certificate may endorse the application form as well as the picture of the candidate if he/she is competent by our regulations to do so.
NB: Candidates who are unable to meet the requirements herein cannot have their certificates released till they appear in person to be interviewed.
WAEC Conditions of Issue of Certificate
The BECE certificate issued is and remains, the property of the West African Examinations Council at all times and it is issued on the following conditions:
• Any alteration to the certificate renders it invalid.
• The certificate must be surrendered to The West African Examinations Council on request.
• The certificate should be kept in a safe place.
• The West African Examinations Council will not issue any copies of the original certificate.
BECE lost certificate
Certificates are sent to the schools for collection by individual candidates. Certificates are produced once, and so certificates which get lost or damaged after collection are not replaced.