We’ve had several queries from prospective candidates who sat for the previous West African Examinations Council (WAEC) examination asking that “how do they correct a misspelt name or wrong Date of Birth on their result or certificate” issued by the Council.
In response to their questions, Georgeweb.org has put together this definitive guide to help any other person in Ghana with the same problem, the article will be updated frequently when there is any new update.
But before we go further let’s make this clear that upgrading your WAEC result or certificate will not solve the problem, it will even make the situation worse because the Council describes such as forged certificate and result. WAEC does not also recommend any candidate or parent to do that.
Fortunately, you can make correction of your names which was mistakenly spelt wrong before or after your result or certificates are been released
But unfortunately, a law introduced by the Council in 2017 indicated that amendments of Date of Birth has been stopped amid rising cases of candidates falsifying their ages for some reasons to suit their interest.
This means that all candidates whose results have been released and certificate printed or gotten can no longer affect changes to their Date of birth but only on their names.
However, candidates whose results are yet to be released or recently sat for the Council’s examination can easily request for correction of names or date of birth by providing the necessary required documents and guidelines outlined below:
WAEC correction of names, Date of Birth requirements
candidates whose results are yet to be released or recently sat for the Council’s examination and are willing to affect changes are required to provide the following documents before visiting any of WAEC Office.
1. Attestation Letter [This letter can be gotten from your school, showing you were / or still a bonafide student of the institution.]
2. Correction Letter [ The correction letter was to state the errors found in the WAEC result/certificate, Please kindly make sure you admit the mistakes been made]
3. Birth Certificate [This birth certificate MUST be the original one]
4. WAEC Result / Certificate [the one with the error on it]
5. Sworn Affidavit [Be it for Correction of Name or Date of Birth depending on your case]
6. School Register [This are for graduates, you must present your school register showing you were among those who graduated from your institution]
7. An amount of GH₵ for Names Correction or Date of Birth Correction, The both correction at once cost GH₵.