Following numerous queries from readers on how to correct the date of birth on a result or certificate issued by the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC), we have decided to explain requirements and guidelines in changing the date of birth.
According to the Council, correction of names mistakenly spelled wrong or otherwise before or after the release of a result or certificate is allowed.
However, a notice issued by WAEC in 2017 and copied to Georgeweb.org stated that the Council will stop the amendments or correction of date of birth due to the increase in cases of candidates falsifying their ages for some reason best known to them to suit their interest.
“Please Note that WAEC would not entertain any request for amendment of date of birth after results had been released, therefore do your amendments before the release of results” .
This means that if you are the type of student whose results has been released and certificates printed or gotten, kindly note that you can only affect changes to your names but not your date of birth.
For the type of candidates whose results are yet to be released or maybe who recently sat for the any of WAEC examination can easily request for corrections of names or date of birth by providing the necessary required documents outlined below
WAEC correction of result or certificate date of birth requirements
According to WAEC candidates are required to provide the following documents before proceeding to any of the zonal WAEC offices nationwide for the corrections.
1. Attestation Letter (This letter can be gotten from your school proving that you were or still a bonafide student of the institution)
2. Correction Letter (The correction letter is to state the errors found in the WAEC result or certificate, please kindly make sure you admit the mistakes been made)
3. Birth Certificate (This birth certificate must be the original one)
4. WAEC Result or Certificate (The one with the error on it)
5. Sworn Affidavit (Be it for correction of name or date of birth depending on your case)
6. School Register (This are for graduates, you must present your school register showing you were among those who graduated from your institution)
7. Cash amount of GH₵ 149.48 for names correction or date of birth correction. (We don’t know if the price has been reduced or increased).
If you are set with the above-mentioned document then you are to visit the WAEC Office in the region where you sat for the examination and submit the document.
You are also to provide your contact details such as phone number and address to be contacted once the amendemeent has been processed.
Again you are to issue a receipt proving your payment was successful and accepted of which after that you are to wait for a validity period of 3 to 6 months for WAEC to work on your request.
Georgeweb.org urges you not to contact any individual claiming to offer this service anywhere apart from any of WAEC Offices.
WAEC will contact your once the correction of name and date of birth has been completed to either pick it up yourself or visit their website to print your certificate online.
If you have any other questions relating to this topic, do not hesitate to use the comment box below and be assured that any of the Editorial staff is ready to assist or guide you.