Mfantsipim has no COVID-19 case; GHS boss erred – Ass. Headmistress

Related

KNUST reopens Saturday for the Second-Semester 2020/2021 Academic year

The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)...

SIC Donates 50 Additional Laptops To Support The KNUST SONSOL Project

The State Insurance Company (SIC) has donated Fifty (50)...

How To Buy KNUST Application Form (E-Voucher) Using Mobile Money

The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology has...

How to prepare the delicious Ghana Jollof: Step by Step Recipe guide

Ghana can boast of numerous delicious and original delicacies...

GNAT appeals to gov’t to fast track payment of teachers arrears

The Head of Membership Education of the Ghana National...

Share

- Advertisement -

The Assistant Headmistress of the Mfantsipim Senior High School (SHS) has denied reports claiming that her school has recorded a case of the novel coronavirus.

According to the management of the school, Mfantsipim SHS inclusion on the list of schools that have confirmed cases of the virus by the  Director-General of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Patrick Kuma Aboagye, was a mistake.

The Assistant Headmistress speaking to Francis Abban on the Morning Starr Wednesday said both the Central regional and district directorate of Health has admitted that there are no cases of the virus at the school.

- Advertisement -

“It’s not true that Mfantsipim has recorded a case of COVID-19. So we are assuring parents that there’s no case of COVID19 at Mfantsipim. When we went to seek clarification, we were told that it was a slip of tongue from the Director-General of Ghana Health Service,” she said.

Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has deployed some over 200 personnel from the Ghana Education Service (GES) and Ghana Health Service (GHS) to assist various senior high schools across the country in the handling of COVID-19 cases.

Police personnel were also deployed to the Accra Girls SHS when parents stormed the school to withdraw their kids following reports that 6 of the students have tested positive for the disease.

- Advertisement -

But, according to the Chairman of the GES Council Michael Nsowah, the timely intervention of the police was in the best of the parent’s interest, adding that they could have put the whole community at risk.

“If we are unable to contain the virus in schools and send the students home, are we not risking the lives of the general community? Parents are free to take their children home but when the time comes for exams, students will be isolated,” Micheal Nsowah said.

He furthered that the Ghana Education Service (GES) will only close down schools when it becomes necessary on the advice of the Ghana Health Service and the Ministry of Health.

- Advertisement -

The Chairman of the GES Council Michael Nsowah stressed that cases of COVID-19 in secondary schools are not widespread.

READ ALSO: WAEC releases 2020 WASSCE timetable; examination begins July 20

“So far, from all the schools that I have visited, there’s no case of COVID-19. So far, I hope it doesn’t spread but we have 700 schools, does it mean every school must shut down? As we speak I’m in the Northern to inspect that all logistics that students were supposed to receive have been provided”.

Source: Georgeweb.org

- Advertisement -