The Ghana Education Service (GES) has received GH¢354 million from the government for the payment of professional and non-professional teachers continuous professional development allowance, a GES official has said.
The Director-General of the Ghana Education Service (GES) yesterday at a press briefing disclosed that some 301,617 professional and non-professional teachers are to benefit from the amount end of the month.
According to Professor Kwasi Opoku Amankwa, of the number 279,546 representing 92.7 per cent, are professional teachers, while the remaining 22,071, representing 7.3 per cent, are non-professional teachers.
The Minister of Education, Dr Matthew Opoku Prempeh in an interview monitored by Georgeweb.org noted each professional teacher will receive GH¢1200, while a non-professional teacher will receive a net GH¢800.
The Manhyia South MP said the continuous professional development allowance will be added to the November salary of eligible teachers who qualifies for the allowance which will be paid annually to teachers.
NAPO however said teachers who do not want to upgrade to professional and will not attend the continuous professional development and professional learning community next year will not receive the allowance.
According to him, the continuous professional allowance which is to support the teacher professionalization is not free money.