The Topic of Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional for 5th August 2021 Is “ Don’t wreck your ministry“
TEXT: Judges 14:1-11
1. And Samson went down to Timnath, and saw a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines.
2. And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines; now therefore get her for me to wife.
3. Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.
4. But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines; for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.
5. Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath; and, behold, a young lion roared against him.
6. And the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand; but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.
7. And he went down, and talked with the woman; and she pleased Samson well.
8. And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion; and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.
9. And he took thereof in his hands, and went on eating, and came to his father and mother, and he gave them, and they did eat; but he told not them that he had taken the honey out of the carcase of the lion.
10. So his father went down unto the woman; and Samson made there a feast; for so used the young men to do.
11. And it came to pass, when they saw him, that they brought thirty companions to be with him.
Key Verse: Judges 14:3
“Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.“
DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR TODAY
The story of Samson makes an interesting reading and study for every heaven-bound Christian. It instructs and lets him know that there is no level one can get to in Christendom that guarantees safety in the walk with God except to walk carefully, watchfully and prayerfully. That Samson, the strongest man in human history, a Nazarite unto God, a Spirit-filled man and a judge in Israel made a shipwreck of his ministry and life is a clear indication that he “that thinketh he standeth” must take heed lest he falls (1 Corinthians 10:12).
From the text, he saw “a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines” whom he desired to marry. He told his parents who objected to it. Later in the chapter, the marriage was contracted and many other things followed.
Yes, it was the Lord’s will that Samson would get onto the Philistines one way or the other for it was for that reason he was born. The angel had told his mother before he was conceived “for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines” (Judges 13:5). Whilst it was the will of God that Samson should get in touch with the Philistines, he was not expected to make a shipwreck of his ministry there. This shows that success or otherwise of any calling or ministry more or less depends on the human side. Saul, Solomon, Jeroboam, Judas Iscariot, etc. made a shipwreck of their ministries out of their own failings.
However, many saints have passed through what we are passing through today and overcame to wear the crown. As believers, there is need to put on the whole armour of God if we must also overcome by the same grace that saw them through. That is the will of God for us.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Watchfulness with prayer will bring victory.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Nehemiah 1-4
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.