Ghana can boast of numerous delicious and original delicacies worth salivating on. Many of these dishes have been perfected with time and practice. They have also been modernization in many dishes but the authenticity of these dishes still remains. Ghana Jollof is one of such dishes that is enjoyed by both young and old. This dish is quite popular in the western part of Africa nonetheless Ghana holds its own as one of the most delicious jollof rice makers.
What is Jollof Rice
Jollof rice is mainly rice mixed with stew. It is a one pot dish that combines different natural ingredients to release a nutritious and flavorful orange colored rice. It is served at homes and particularly at functions like weddings, funerals and naming ceremonies and parties. In fact, there is no festivity without the presence of Ghana Jollof. This dish has also gained a lot of international recognition due to its taste and the famous Ghana-Nigeria Jollof battle. Many people argue that Ghana jollof is better than Nigerian jollof and vice versa. But I argue that each combines unique ingredients and therefore are both delicious in their own way. Jollof rice are also eaten by several African countries including Gambia, Mali, Cameroon, Senegal, Gambia etc. the dish can also be found in many parts of the world as many Africans are scattered all over the world. It is also as a result o the internet, globalization and the willingness of people to try other cultural foods.
How is Ghana Jollof Rice prepared?
Here is a simple method you can use to prepare your jollof rice, its very simple to follow yet the taste is undeniably good.
6 large tomatoes and 1 medium sized tinned tomato paste
6 red chili/ Pepper
2 large Onions
2 fat cloves of Garlic and one root Ginger
Spices: Rosemary, curry, bay leaves (optional), 1 seasoning cube and salt
2 cups of Rice
Water and Meat/ chicken stock
Method of Preparation
- Blend the tomatoes, one onion, ginger, garlic, and pepper together
- Chop the other onion into cubes
- Add in your cooking oil
- Add the rosemary, curry and chopped onions
- Stir and allow the flavor to be released doe about 3 mins.
- Add blended ingredients, stir continuously and keep on fire for about 10 mins
- Add the tomato paste to the mixture and stir, allow it to simmer for about 5 mins
- Add bay leaves, seasoning cube and salt
- Wash rice and add into the stew, add chicken or beef stock and stir
- Add water(optional) stir and cover
- After about 5 minutes, stir and cover with foil or napkin
- Turn for about two more times and serve when ready
How is Jollof Rice served?
Jollof rice can be eaten with a variety of side dishes. Chicken, meat, turkey, eggs, fish, sausages, etc. are all assortment you can eat with Jollof. Anything goes with it and it can also be eaten as a stand-alone especially when it is cooked with some vegetables. Other things you can enjoy Jollof rice with includes salad, avocado, spaghetti, sauces like chicken and beef sauce, shito, green chili sauce etc.
Written By: Georgeweb.org/Bibiana Gyasi