Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Vice Chancellor of the University of The Gambia, with effect from October 1, 2021.
The University of The Gambia (UTG) is the oldest University in The Gambia. It was established in 1999. With 288 academic staff and 6,950 students, UTG is a vibrant institution making a significant contribution to the economic, social and cultural prosperity of The Gambia and the sub-region.
Our vision is to provide relevant, sustainable and high-quality tertiary education and research to promote socio-economic, scientific and technological advancement and development. We strive to be a center of excellence so that what we do will be relevant to pressing issues locally, within the sub-region and beyond.
The campus extends throughout The Gambia and is based across four locations in Kanifing, Brikama, Faraba, and Farafenni. We have grown over the past twenty years and now have ten Schools and Faculties
- Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
- Arts and Sciences
- Business and Public Administration
- Engineering and Architecture
- Graduate studies
- Information and Communications Technology
- Journalism and Digital Media
- Medicine and Allied Health Sciences
At the University of The Gambia, the Vice Chancellor, under the direction of the University Governing Council, is the academic head and chief executive officer of the University responsible for leadership, management and development of the University, and spearheading the realization of its vision and mission. Among the many responsibilities of the position, the Vice Chancellor will:
- oversee strategic planning and provide strategic leadership for the University staff and students;
- lead and manage the Senior Management Team of the University of The Gambia in the day-to-day administration of the University and the general supervision and direction over the academic and administrative work of the institution and its faculty officers and employees;
- lead fund-raising efforts to mobilize sustainable resources for the University;
- ensure that appropriate strategies are implemented to make the University of The Gambia financially independent;
- oversee the preparation of the annual estimates of income and expenditure for consideration by the Council and for the management of the budget and resources within the estimates approved by the Council;
- account to Council for the academic and financial performance of the University through periodic submissions of quarterly financial and activity reports on the University’s financial status, activities, achievements, plans and developments;
- ensure the University complies with national and international regulatory bodies;
- act as the main point of contact for national policymakers and other stakeholders within The Gambia and external agencies such as research funding bodies, and donors;
- serve as Chair of Senate and also ex officio member of the Council, Faculty Boards, and other university committees and bodies;
- exercise general authority over the staff of the University, with power to suspend from duty any member of staff, and reporting the matter without delay to the Council; and,
- meet performance goals that the Governing Council will review annually.
The applicant should be a strategic thinker and a visionary to grow the University with regards to quality, and contribution to society; an individual who is comfortable with change management and has a proven track record as a leader who creates successful teams that generate measurable outcomes; a person with enthusiasm and energy and good at mobilizing resources; an excellent communicator and listener with a broad range of contacts and known in academic circles for excellence in academics with a prolific research output.
The Candidate must:
- Hold relevant postgraduate qualifications that includes a doctoral qualification or equivalent, must be of a professorial rank for at least ten (10) years and must have served in a University or Institution of similar status for a minimum of 15 years.
- Must demonstrate a track record of outstanding achievement in an academic discipline and be an internationally recognized academic with a track record in academic achievements reflected in extensive peer-review publications including publications within the last 3 years.
- Have a successful record of academic leadership and management and/or business achievement, including significant and demonstrably successful experience in managing change, people and financial resources, through leadership and management of a significant academic unit. Experience as Dean and/or Deputy Vice Chancellor will be recognized.
- Demonstrate a proven capacity for strategic thinking and planning.
- Understands the tertiary education system and its policy environment, and how to respond effectively to this environment.
- Have the credibility, experience and judgement to operate effectively at a senior level in a university setting.
- Must have a broad range of international contacts and show an ability to identify and develop partnership and business development opportunities.
- Demonstrate experience and has a track record in mobilizing resources.
- Have the ability to work at pace and under pressure.
- Have sound communication skills, and the ability to inspire the work of faculty and other staff.
- Possess highly developed skills in decision-making, persuasion, influencing and negotiation.
SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS:
Salary and Condition of Service attached to the position are attractive.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
The Appointment, which is full-time, shall be for FIVE (5) YEARS in the first instance and may be renewed for a final term of up to FIVE (5) years only.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested persons are requested to submit their Application Letters together with the following:
- Curriculum Vitae, including names and contact details of three (3) Referees; and,
- A 1200-word Statement of the Candidate’s Vision for the University of The Gambia
All applications are to be sent to [email protected] and copied to [email protected] or [email protected] not later than Thursday, July 15, 2021. Shortlisted candidates shall be invited for an interview.