The Ghana National Council of Private Schools (GNACOPS) in collaboration with Coral Reef will be part of a project dubbed “The National Digital Literacy Project (NDLP)” to ensure pupil in Ghana is adequately prepared for the global digital economy the transformation of Ghana.
This project is targeted at teachers and learners in all private primary and JHS schools in Ghana and will make it possible for all pupils to have access to digital technology and communication tools for learning.
The project, led by the private schools’ Council and in collaboration with Coral Reef Innovation and P2S Company Limited, also empowers teachers to create and deliver learning contents using digital technology (a combination of technology, content and learning).
This forms part of the Standards-Based Curriculum that is being implemented by Ghanaian schools which espouse and underpins the global citizenry identity through the digitization of education programme called digital literacy.
This multi-million dollar purpose project would be rolled out in two faces
Phase 1 – Pilot
The first phase of the project consist of the following:
- Identification of pilot schools and pre-qualification by the Council.
- Pre-inspection of facilities and recommendations made on suitability
- Provide funding plans (personal or bank funded through Coral Reef funding partners)
- Training of ambassadors of innovation (a teacher from each school)
- Installation of smart labs after funding resolved
- Post installation customer support (3 months free)
Phase 2 – roll out
- This will be opened for all schools to apply and have labs installed
- All teachers and parents who will like to own devices to apply through their schools and get funded by partner banks if they qualify
As part of the funding these steps have been taken for all the private schools.
Banks through Asset Financing Scheme (AFS)
- Schools lab funding:
Both local & International partnering banks to pre-finance the labs for schools through an Asset Financing Scheme (AFS).
- Private School Teachers laptops and Kids devices Funding
Banks will also fund laptops for teachers and devices for kids through the schools directly or through the selected banks.
Fundraising ongoing for grants for Muslim schools and schools located in Muslim communities
Fundraising ongoing for schools that choose to run STEM for girl’s project in their schools to serve the girl-child education in their communities.
These will come into subsidized setup costs
Deprived Private Schools fund
Funds are available to support deprived private schools in some communities by corporate organisations, coral reef, charitable clubs and others. This will ensure digital inclusion as part of the achievement of the SDGs.
An application and registration portal would be launched on GNACOPS official website soon for all school to apply.
Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana (GoG) has said it is keen on putting its weight and also concentrating on all educational systems that would boost learning outcomes.
NB: In the meantime, Any private school that is interested and needs further information should contact GNACOPS National Secretariat via these: [email protected] , 0502071245/ 024 964 1349 /020 702 1555.