The Ghana Education Service (GES) has released the 2019/2020 academic calendar for SHS double-track and single-track schools.
GES additionally made it clear that contact hours has been increased from 1,080 hours to 1,134 hours for the 2019/2020 academic year period.
2019/20 Academic Calendar: All You Need To Know
- The basic principle of the academic calendar is that every track of students will have 8 months of contact time in a 12-month calendar.
- In the case of the 2019/2020 academic calendar, it is September 2019 to August 2020.
- Students in both Double-Track and Single-Track schools receive their 8 months minimum in the 12-month cycle.
- Semester 2 for Single-Track schools is five (5) months: January 5th to June 5th, 2020. This includes statutory breaks for national holidays and a mid-semester break.
- Double-Track schools, each track of students will have their 8 months of schooling by the end of August 2020.
- The first semester for Form 2 Gold ends on May 8th, Second Semester for Form 2 Gold students is May 11th to August 28th, 2020.
- Form 2 Gold will break for Easter and will also have a mid-semester break in June 2020.
- The Double-Track calendar allows for an uninterrupted period of academic work for Form 3 students.
- To provide additional time for Form 3 students on both Single and Double-Track Schools to prepare for their final examinations, they return on January, 5th and stay till June 4th, 2020 (end of WASSCE).
- The 2019/2020 Free SHS Academic Calendar is well thought out and with input from key stakeholders. Below are the details of the new academic calendar
Contact time has been increased from 1,080 under the trimester to 1,134 hours under the semester system and the double-track calendar.