10.7 C
New York
Saturday, October 23, 2021
HomeEducationDeputy Education Minister reveals cost of teachers Mate 1 laptop

Deputy Education Minister reveals cost of teachers Mate 1 laptop

The Deputy Minister for Education, Reverend John Ntim Fordjour says the unit cost of the per state of the art Mate 1 laptop procured for public school teachers to improve teaching and learning in the classroom is GH¢1,550.

Hon Fordjour speaking in an interview with Citi FM’s broadcast journalist, Umaru Sanda Amadu said the leadership of the various teacher unions after a meeting with the Ministry of Education agreed on a cost-sharing of the laptops.

“There was a cost-sharing component which the Teacher Unions proposed and the government accepted thus the central government will absorb 70% of the cost and teachers pay the remaining 30%,” the Education Minister stated.

- Advertisement -

The 30 per cent cost, the Deputy Education Minister said will be deducted from the Professional Development Allowance to be given to teachers end of this academic year and not from their salary as rumoured on social media.

“So the 30% of the teachers’ Mate 1 laptop will not be deducted from teachers salary but the Professional Development Allowance introduced by Akufo-Addo last year,” Mr Ntim told the Cowboy Journalist, Umaru Sanda.

But, Mr Angel Carbonu, the President of the National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) in a statement sighted by EducationWeb.com.gh indicated the cost per unit of a laptop is GH¢1831.47 and not GH¢1,550.

The Vice-President of the Republic of Ghana, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia Wednesday, September 3, 2021, launched the ‘One teacher, One laptop’ initiative to the requisite ICT skills of public school teachers across the country.

Source: Educationweb.com.gh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here