The Topic of Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional for 3rd August 2021 Is “ Divorce and remarriage forbidden“
TEXT: Matthew 5:27-32
27. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery;
28. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
31. It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement;
32. But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery; and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Key Verse: Matthew 5:32
“But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.”
DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR TODAY
At creation, God’s original intention was and still remains that man should marry one wife. Thereafter, a seal was put to this commandment. “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder” (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:6).
God did not anticipate any divorce in His marriage plan for man. But hardness of heart drove the children of Israel to pressurise Moses their leader to amend God’s plan in granting them the issuance of bill of divorcement to put away their wives for every cause. But Jesus put a note of finality when He declared “Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so” (Matthew 19:8).
The word of God is against divorce and remarriage. Jesus stated categorically, “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery” (Matthew 19:9).
In all matters, Christians should stay on the Bible and not add or subtract from it. Divorce and remarriage cannot be part of God’s plan for His people. However, that is not to say there will be no misunderstandings between husbands and their wives. All issues must be discussed and settled between them both because they have become “one flesh” by God’s arrangement. Third parties like friends, in-laws, children, etc. must understand their responsibilities to one another and keep them. They must honour and encourage one another and never do anything to undermine themselves or the marriage institution.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Marriage is honourable; don’t violate its vow.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Ezra 4-6
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.